Thursday 5 May 2011

Lucy May Schofield


Ok, I have been away a long time due to Uni deadlines but I think it's about time I caught up with myself!! 

When Lucy May Schofield ( A while ago!) came in to show off her handmade books, I was taken by surprise. I never knew that books could look so beautiful and this talk furthered my intrigue into bookbinding. Even thought Lucy makes lots of books she sees herself as more of a curator, giving herself the title 'Artist & Bookbinder'. She is inspired by her determined desire to make alongside a passion for the written word.  
Lucy showed us a range of beautiful books but what intrigued me most was the journey behind each book.  Two pieces that stood out to me were her readymade love letters and the raffle book. I think both of these are amazing little concepts which allow people to communicate, to my surprise these were created before social networking. These books were sold in Selfridges across the globe, from  London to New York and Dubai. As these were places abroad Lucy had to create a small box in which the books would be sold in as the books were small and fragile and could get lost. The idea of keeping handmade pieces in a box is a great idea as it keeps the object safe and it is easier to transport around. 

Another things that stood out to me was The Bibliotherapy Artist's Book Library (BABL), this consists of a modest collection of Artists' Books which Lucy has used for the 8 years to inspire other people to write, illustrate and make their own books through lecturing and teaching workshops. She wanted these books to exist elsewhere, to be discovered by strangers, live outside of the institutions. Allowing the books to breathe - no white gloves, no glass cabinets. 'Just me, a cabinet of artists' books, four wheels and the open road.' This stood out to me because it's a great way to allow other people see what has inspired you, it's also a way to make the best of the books you have. I really admire her ideas and determination to get her dreams out there. 
 
                        

No comments:

Post a Comment