Friday 15 October 2010

Static..

Static....what comes to mind when static is mentioned?
To me there are various things that come to mind
- Interference in T.Vs
- Interference on Radio
- Balloons and hair
- Friction - Rubbings
- Light - Lightning
- White / Pink Noise
- Character - In a fixed motion
- Magnetic?

There are many ways to interpret Static but for the first project of my third year I chose to focus on the word Interference - in telecommunication and electronics, anything which alters, modifies, or disrupts a message as it travels along a channel between a source and a receiver.
I got the obvious things out of the way which involved balloons and static hair. I then came up with the idea of materials which would look like static. I scanned materials and objects which would resemble static when zoomed in on.




Some of the scans have come out really well, I scanned them in and then placed a layer over then to bring the images to life and look like static. After having a consult with John Walsh we came to the conclusion that that these images would look really good as a magazine spread or a background of a collection of poster! Along with these scans I created my own typeface. the first experiment was with the word 'Static'



The bottom photo is what inspired me to crteate my own typeface. The blending of the spray paint has become an advantage as it creates a whole new font. I did use the other photo becasue the idea behind these was the idea of the word being static itself and people and the environment around it would be moving and changing. Eventually the word has been washed away by the road sweeper (which is great!) and has worked how i wanted it to! (faded ones shown below!)


No comments:

Post a Comment